Wednesday 7 October 2015

Analysis of the numbers from my blog

I've decided to write shorter entries for my blog. The entries end up being very long and cover a lot of aspects so I'm splitting them up to cover only one to a few aspects at a time.

So for my first shorty, I'm going to look at the numbers of views to this blog. Initially it will just be a look at the number of views per month. I'll then go into the views per post, what looks most interesting for people etc.

So, without further ado, here are the numbers of views per month plotted with the number of posts per month:


The left hand y-axis shows the number of views per month. The right hand y-axis shows the number of blog posts per month.

So, I'm getting on average about 800 views per month since the beginning of 2014. I've no idea if this is good or bad. Probably really bad as I don't connect with other people or mention the blog to anyone.

You can also see that there has been a major slowdown in blog entries recently. This corresponds to a drop in the number of views.

The next chart shows the difference in views from one month to the next plotted against the number of blog entries per month.



By simply calculating the correlation between the two series in the chart above we get a value of 0.2. This would seem to suggest that there is no correlation between the number of blog posts and the monthly increase in the number of views. It's all very random.

I will leave you with one final chart:

This shows the cumulative number of views and the cumulative number of posts. As you can see the number of views rises linearly with time. So much so, in fact, that you can fit a linear trendline through the data from January 2014 onwards to get the gradient of ~869 views per month.

From this it would seem that nothing I have, or have not done, has affected the upward trend.

Next time, I'll look at the data from the individual blog entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment